Lowcountry Crab Rice
This dish makes a fresh and light entree or a great side dish to a steak for a fun surf ‘n’ turf option.
Total Time: 10 min Prep Time: 5 min Cook Time: 5 min Yield: 1 Serving
2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
6 oz. Picked Lump and Claw Crabmeat (fresh or canned)
1 stalk Celery
1/2 Bell Pepper, (white pulp removed)
1/2 small Onion
2 tbsp. Butter, plus 1 tbsp.
1/2 cup Cooked Rice
1 tbsp. Water
1/4 tsp. Salt, plus 1/4 tsp.
2 tbsp. Cooked Bacon pieces
1 tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1 tsp. Sesame (Benne) Seeds
1/2 cup Cooked Okra (fresh or frozen), ringed
Tools You'll Need
- Large electric skillet
- Rubber spatula
- Cutting board and knife
- Heat oil in the electric skillet on moderately high heat (8).
- Add crabmeat, stir with spatula, cook until golden brown, 3-4 minutes.
- Dice the celery, pepper and onion very small and add to the pan. Add butter and stir with spatula. About 2 minutes.
- Add water to cool down the pan if it starts to burn.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt, continue stirring.
- Stir in bacon pieces and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the rice and add the remaining 1/2 tsp. of salt.
- Stir in the Worcestershire, lemon juice, Tabasco sauce and sesame seeds and remaining tablespoon of butter.
- Stir in the okra and cook through, 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.