Cajun QuinoaSteve Adams "Trucker Steve"
This dish is a healthy twist on dirty rice and just one cup of quinoa offers about 24 grams of muscle-building protein.
1 lb lean ground beef (and chorizo if desired)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 medium white or yellow onion, diced
1 stalk of celery, diced
1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 green onion, sliced thinly (dark green parts separated from white/light green)
2 cups quinoa, uncooked
1 bay leaf
Salt and pepper, to taste
Optional additions: Cayenne pepper, sriracha
Tools You'll Need
- Skillet or slow cooker
- Cutting board/knife
- Measuring cup
- Combine 2 cups quinoa with 4 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until quinoa is tender – about 18 minutes.
- Place coconut oil in your skillet or slow cooker and heat to medium or medium high.
- Add your lean ground beef and chorizo, if desired, to the skillet and begin to sauté and brown.
- Add your diced onion, celery, green pepper, garlic, green onion, bay leaf and sauté until meat is completely cooked.
- Plate and enjoy!
- *Note: Quinoa is not a rice or pasta, but a “cereal-like” food that is gluten-free, has a nice crunch and is loaded with protein, minerals and fiber.