Applesauce PancakesBobby Andersen "Plant-Fueled Trucker"
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and these tasty and nutritious hot cakes will help you get your day off to a great start.
1 1/4 cups flour of your choice
2 tbsp coconut sugar — or other sweetener*
2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups plant milk or rice milk (Consider using using almond milk if plant or rice milk is not available)
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
2 heaping tbsp applesauce
2 tbsp water
Tools You'll Need
- Griddle or skillet
- Large bowl
- Measuring cup/spoons
- Spoon (for stirring)
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add plant milk, applesauce and ground flaxseed, and stir just until flour is moistened. (For thicker pancakes, use only 1 cup of milk.)
- Let the batter rest for 5 minutes while skillet heats, and then stir gently one more time before using.
- Heat non-stick griddle or skillet over medium heat until drop of water sizzles on it.
- Pour batter onto hot griddle by small 1/4 cup portions, making a few pancakes at a time. Cook until cakes are bubbly and bubbles burst; edges will look dry.
- Use spatula to turn the pancakes and cook until undersides are golden. Place on warm platter; keep warm.
- Serve pancakes with syrup or consider topping with fresh fruit or low fat yogurt.